Saturday, March 27, 2010

The same but different ...

So I thought once I got here, it would be this huge culture shock. I mean what could be more different than Starkville, Mississippi and Okinawa, Japan? But what I am realizing is that things are the same but different. The culture shock was more like a tiny little twinge. At least so far anyway ;) Here are a couple of examples of what I mean. They have sweet potatoes. Very delicious, sweet potato tasting, sweet potatoes...they are just purple!! (I know, right??)

We have stop signs, but they are shaped like triangles. This was a little harder to get used to. Because in the states, what does this look like??? Yeah...a yield sign! You better stop, buddy!!
This is the Japanese version of a shopping cart. The funny thing about this is that the English on the sign for this (I should have taken a picture of it...) said, "Medium size shopping cart" I'm not sure you can get the feel for just how small this cart is, but the little green basket sitting in the cart is one of those little baskets that you can carry around with you if you don't want to push a cart. I'd hate to see what size they would call our American sized shopping carts!! Monstrous, Colossal, Mammoth!!
Today, I went to McDonald's and I had the Shaka Shaka Chicken. Something you won't see on an American menu. It was quite tasty. Basically, it's just a piece of chicken without the bun or anything, in this little bag...with your choice of seasoning...and you can see the directions. You pour it in, "shaka shaka" up, and enjoy!!

Here is a picture of a Pepsi that I bought after a quick pit stop at one of the many vending machines. (Oh how I love the vending machines!!!) See...the same, but different!!

Anyway, these are just a few examples of how life has SLIGHTLY changed. As you can see, it's all still relatively the same...just a little spice was added and "shaka shaka" :)

5 comments:

Lisa McReynolds said...

Ohhhhhhh, Misty! How I love this post! I wish you would do one like this all the time! I love taking in your 'new' culture and seeing all the differences yet similarities! Thanks for sharing!! I love this!!!!

Misty said...

I'll have to see if I can make this a recurring theme!! Let's see what I can come up with. I am having so much fun here and with my blog. It's good to know that every now and then, someone reads it!!

Thanks ;)

Sassifras said...

Ohhhhhhhhh how we loved the Japanese McDonalds! It tastes so much better than what you get here...fresher, if that's possible! And the vending machines were our faves, too! I never had the purple sweet potatoes, but I loved their produce...so much better than what the commissary offers! You should find a ramen shop somewhere...you'll never want to eat the top ramen again! Enjoy! =) P.S...I love your car! =)

tripletmomplus1 said...

Are the sweet potatoes super sweet and yummy??? They look it!! and I'm actually liking the differences..we need some of those cute pepsi's over here!! and that shaka shaka chicken :) u can keep those stop signs!!

Unknown said...

I need one of those pepsi bottles for my collection of various random things that I have on that green hutch in my kitchen.