Thursday, March 18, 2010

Adjustments

I seem to be adjusting pretty well here in Okinawa. I hardly even notice the F-15's flying over head in formation anymore. When I first got here, I would stop and stare and watch them in awe. Now, I don't even pause my conversation...just kick it up a few decibels. The constant sound of construction behind my house has become rather soothing. I rarely ever try to get in on the driver's side of the car when I'm a passenger and vice versa, I only drive on the right side of the road when I want some excitement ;) And the sight of everyone else's toes, that at first made me scoff, has since made me rather jealous. So, like a lemming, I took the plunge. Apparently, "EVERYONE has to get their toes painted" by one of the very talented Asian women with a tiny paintbrush and acrylic paint. It's art. You go into the shop, are seated in a very comfy recliner, they cover your legs in a super soft blanket, and give you a book of designs to peruse while they get started on your toes. In the meantime, someone brings you tea, and you sit and talk and sip your tea and fret over what design you want to be marked with for the next couple of weeks!! It's quite the decision! Here's what I picked for my first time. There will be others. I liked it ;) It's completely out of character for me. Which MUST mean that i'm adjusting to island lifestyle, right?

No comments: