Saturday, March 13, 2010

New car = freedom!

So I finally got my car!! Isn't it cute?? I love riding around with the top down! I've always wanted a convertible! And this is the perfect place to have one! I'm gonna need some sunscreen STAT!! So far, I haven't seen another one of these cars on the island...not even in another color. No one can say they didn't see me coming, that's for sure!!





And with my new car, means freedom to explore the island a little bit. Yesterday was my first time to really be able to drive around, so I stuck to base and just got acclimated to driving on the "wrong" side of the road, and to my new car and it's odd transmission (half manual - half automatic) ... but today, I got brave. I went OUTSIDE the gates! Oh yeah. All on my own. I found my way to Jusco. It's kind of like a mall/walmart. It has a lot of little stores in it with clothes and things, and a starbucks, etc. But then it has a huge part that has home stuff, and a grocery part, and pretty much anything else you can think of. Here's a picture of the grocery part...It had a lot of stuff in it. All in Japanese. I had NO IDEA what I was looking at!!
Case in point...I saw these little things in a plastic case. No English on the label, but it looked yummy. So I bought it. What was it you ask?? Well...I ate one of the balls and it seemed to be a molasses covered ball of dough. I ate two to decide if I liked it or not. I'm still undecided!! lol
This is the HUGE ferris wheel that is in American Village. I can't wait to ride it. It moves so slow that you can barely tell it's moving, but I bet the view from the top is amazing!! I was going to try and go to the beach or walk down into American Village and take some pictures after leaving Jusco, but it was sprinkling so I decided to head back home and eat my (not sure what adjective to use) sticky, doughy, interesting balls and the weird undecipherable lunch that I picked up. I'll save the walking for another day. Logan will be so proud of me that I've ventured out of the house! He asks me every day what I did, and generally my answer consists of the gym or the grocery on base or laundry. I think he's been concerned that by the time he got here this summer I would still be a hermit that was afraid to drive or carless!! His fears can subside now! I've breached the base gate all on my own and made it back to blog about it! ;) More pictures to come now that I've got wheels!! Stay tuned!!

No comments: